Home Fact Sheets
BECOMING A PILOT IN THE VTANG|
Printable Fact Sheet
The Vermont Air National Guard is no longer accepting applications for an Undergraduate Pilot Training board. Please check back with us in 2015 - we look forward to meeting those of you that truly want to become part of the Vermont Air National Guard.
An online pilot application must be filled out and included in your application package. Upon review, candidates will be notified if they are selected for an interview. We ask that you notify the Vermont Air National Guard if you accept a pilot position elsewhere.
Pre-requisites for Pilot Training Applicants
· You must be in good overall health
· Must be a U.S. Citizen capable of obtaining a Top Secret clearance
· Must physically qualify IAW the following regulations (specifically height, weight, vision and hearing):
◦ Department of Defense Instruction 6130.03, Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services
◦ Air Force Instruction 48-123, Medical Examinations and Standards (Particularly Chapter 6)
· AGE: Air Force regulation mandates that any student attending Undergraduate Pilot Training start flight training prior to their 30th birthday.
· You must possess a 4 year college degree(have at least 90 credit hours completed) to apply for the UPT board
· Must have taken, and received the results from the following tests:
◦ Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT)
◦ Test of Basic Aviation Skills (TBAS) - Formerly known as the "BAT Test"
◦ To schedule the AFOQT and TBAS tests contact any Air Force, or Air National Guard Recruiter for non-military members or your base training office for military members
· Flying experience is a plus, but NOT required
Please include the following items in your application package in the following order:
· Cover Letter
· Completed VTANG Applicant Information Sheet From Main Page Link
· Completed Medical History DD Form 2807-2 From Main Page Link
· AFOQT Scores
· TBAS/BAT/PCSM Scores
· Letters of Recommendation (Three Maximum)
· Most recent 2 OPR/EPR's if currently serving in the Armed Forces
· Copy of college transcripts
· Copy of your pilot license, and a copy of your most recent logbook page (license is not required but a plus).
· Current Photograph (within last 6 months)
Mail the Application Package to:
158th Operations Group Administration
ATTN: Pilot Selection Board
108 NCO Drive
So Burlington VT 05403-5870
Summary of Selection Process and Pilot Training:
Pilot selection boards are usually held once every two years for 158FW. The board will select an undetermined number of applicants. Once selected for pilot training you will be scheduled for a USAF Class I Flight Physical. When the physical is complete your package will be sent to higher headquarters for approval and assignment of dates for your USAF Enhanced Medical Flight Screening (EMFS), Introductory Flight Training Course (IFT), the ANG Academy of Military Science (AMS), and Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT).
After completion of SUPT, new Pilots will attend Water and Combat Survival Training at Fairchild AFB, Washington, (or Pensacola NAS, FL) lasting about four weeks. They will then attend F 16C Replacement Training Unit (RTU), lasting approximately six months at one of four bases.
Upon completion of RTU, the officer will be returned to the Vermont ANG, where they will receive a minimum of 254 days of active duty for Home Station Training (HST). Officers will remain on continuous active duty from the time they begin SUPT until they complete their HST, no exceptions.
After completion of all HST requirements, the now combat-ready F-16C pilot will revert to Traditional Guard (part-time status). They will be required to perform ground and flying duties as required for currency events and minimum training standards, as directed by the unit Commander.
THE VERMONT AIR NATIONAL GUARD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, creed, color or ethnic background.
For questions or for more information on becoming a pilot in the VTANG please e-mail Justin.Moreland@ang.af.mil.